Summer is at its peak right now and our backyard gardens, farmer’s Markets, and roadside vegetable stands are full of ripe delicious fresh tomatoes! One of my favorite recipes for fresh tomatoes is for Tomato Pie!
If you haven’t ever tried Tomato Pie, boy are you in for one of the summer’s most delicious treats. With this recipe, you can use a store-bought crust or make your own homemade pie crust from scratch.
Recipe: Fresh Tomato Pie:
It’s quick and easy and completely delicious.
This pie is so much better when made with fresh ingredients and you can use your own brand of mayonnaise but as a good Southerner I am all about using Duke’s Mayonnaise, but that’s my opinion. I always have an open jar in the refrigerator and a spare in the cupboard. And, by the way, they are not paying me to say that. I just really love the stuff. If you don’t use Dukes… well, bless your heart!
• 2 – 3 fresh Tomatoes, sliced or cubed.
• 8 fresh Basil leaves, finely chopped.
• 1/2 cup Onion, chopped.
• 1 Pre-Baked Pie Crust, 9 inches.
• 1 cup of grated Cheddar Cheese.
• 1 cup of grated Mozzarella Cheese.
• 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise.
• Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Slice and chop Basil then set aside.
- Slice and chop Onion then set aside.
- Slice and cube Tomatoes then place in a colander to drain.
- Sprinkle Tomatoes with Black Pepper.
- Sprinkle on Salt, stir and let continue to drain.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the Cheddar Cheese.
- Add the grated Mozzarella Cheese.
- Add the Mayonnaise, stir until combined, set aside.
- To assemble your Pie you will place the chopped onions in the bottom of the crust.
- Sprinkle with the chopped Basil.
- Add the drained Tomatoes, spreading around evenly in crust.
- Top with the Cheese mixture spread almost to edges of pie crust.
- Bake at 350º for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
*Note: The pie was easier to cut and serve if you let it cool completely first. I recommend that you refrigerate it for a couple of hours, then remove and slice your pie. Place the individual slices on a serving dish and then microwave each slice about 30 seconds or just until warm. If you are warming your pie in the oven, be sure not to let it get too warm before serving.